Mar 3, 2011

Professional Life

Its been around 6.6 years working in Software industry and hardly I have enjoyed it. To put in numbers, the last 3 months have been good enough to say I have enjoyed. It sounds astonishing not to have enjoyed most of it, "why is it so?", which has to be answered by none other than me.

Here is my analysis. This analysis not only comes out of my experience but also out of the discussions I had with several companies during my job change recently. I don't know if you, the one who is reading it, might find it untrue and I don't compel you to accept it. Because it is about me and not about you.

Let me start explaining the analysis with a particular discussion I had with a very reputed company. The first round was a telephonic interview. I could clear it with struggle. The questions that were asked were so practical, not everybody could answer them without having actually faced them. It made sense.
The Second round was face-to-face which didn't last for 15 minutes. All that the interviewer wanted to know if I had worked on a large enterprise application for a long duration. I literally didn't have an answer. I looked at my resume and found it hard to convince him, given an opportunity I can prove myself. But why would any company venture on such a candidature when the market is so lucrative and plenty of such professionals are available ?

So what should I conclude from that interview? I was really disappointed not being selected due a reason out of my reach, of not working in a large enterprise application of a large duration. After several days of thinking and scratching my head, it appears that the guy was interested in extensive knowledge that I could procure working in an application for a long duration. Be it either a small application or a large one, it really makes difference working in it for a long duration. You would have surpassed most of the hurdles developing an application, getting it in production and supporting it to run smoothly. Am I right ?

There can be arguments of gaining knowledge of an entire application even being associated with it for a short duration. But there is a difference, a considerable difference. And this analysis reveals that I never had the complete understanding of any of the projects that I have worked on, quite astonishing. This analysis is not true though, but I can't defend it confidently. Why ? Because even though I have worked in projects for long duration, I am not in a situation to recollect each and every bits and pieces of it.

How does it related to not being satisfied with your work? Yes, it is proportionally related. The fun and pleasure working with a project for a long duration is substantial. You get comfortable with the environment, team members, work and you grow along with it. That's how you achieve the growth and gain the knowledge you need.

A very good example is my Dad. He worked in Davanagere Cotton Spinning Mills, Gadag for around 18 years. Can you believe it? He had gained so much of knowledge, faith and trust of workers/management that even after 18 years of leaving it, they call and talk to him now. How surprising and feel good factor it is when a colleague remembers you after 18 years?

Why did I enjoy the last 3 months of my job? Since 2 years, I had always felt that I wanted a change. I really didn't know what was it. After I returned from HK, I was put into a project where I was the senior developer. Somehow I felt the responsibility to help the team members with their problems and giving them the guidance. It was then I realized that all I wanted was change in Role. I was more than ready to play a Lead role. I was fedup playing individual contributor. I wanted more responsibility, may be a different responsibility.

And then I felt you start enjoying work if there is a change at regular intervals in your career. Doing the same job for several years will make you loose interest. May not be true for everybody. And if you are successful in the role you are playing, then definitely there is lot of fun at work. How can I forget the money factor? It plays a vital role too. Given a perfect role and less salary, the job is no fun. You will definitely feel less worthy and loose confidence.

In my terms, success in professional life is a recipe of change in role at right time, knowledge and a deserving salary.

No comments: