Mar 18, 2011

The memorable interviews

Its been two weeks that I have started travelling to office in bus. The first week was difficult and always the thought jolted me to switch to my car. But things got going from the second week. I have almost reached the point to say "I am used to it" although I get bored for 1 hour in the morning and 1.5 hours in the evening. A  flash back on how my career as software engineer started reminds me couple of  interviews that i failed miserably, may be stupidly and idiotically that I still laugh at myself. I do similar mistakes even now, looks like interviews are not my cup of tea!

I am here going to write down a couple of my conversations in those initial interviews. And this is gonna keep me busy while travelling  in bus. The first interview was with Sapient in The Park hotel, Bangalore. I had cleared written test, so the second round went something like this. Answered most of the fundamental computer related questions. Discussion started with data structures. Sorting techniques, queues, stacks, fifo, lifo and then came the linked list. I had answered all questions and may be this was his last one on linked list. 
What do you do if I have a new object and want to add it the existing list? 
I don't know what struck to my mind. Immediately replied, without giving a thought, create another list and join them! 
No points for guessing i was rejected. I still regret that answer. Had I answered it correctly my experience would have been 6 months more now. 
 
There was another hr interview with Sysarris. Just a few days before I had made up my mind to spend my time reading books not only technical but others too. I had picked up a book by Stephen Hawking's called The Time Machine. It was quite interesting and had read about 10 to 15 pages. Being proud that I had cultivated reading habit updated the hobbies column in my resume! Flashback over, lets jump back to the interview. 
 
The hr interview went fine for the first 5 mins. He then looked into my hobbies section and asked which book have you read recently? Tell me the story! I was baffled for a moment since its a science fiction. Replied "No, I have just started reading it." and that's it. I was rejected.

Went back to hostel and updated hobbies section by removing "reading"! Then came interview with wipro. The gap wasn't much after my interview with Sysarris. I failed in hr interview again. Why? The first question
that a senior hr asked was what is sanjeevani solutions? I had mentioned my project experience in sanjeevani solutions. He asked me in such a rude manner I didn't know how to answer. By the time I was about to start second sentence he said "you may leave"! It was sheer bad luck.

No comments: