Aug 8, 2011

Bloody Muggers

Two incidents in Bangalore and One in Hong Kong, I am really going mad about muggers.

Couple of months back, in the first week, the newspaper agent came and collected the charges producing the bill. Dad collected the bill, handed over the amount in front of me. Normally I don't deal with monthly utility payments, either its dad or mom. The next day another agent came asking for the payment!!! We were shocked to find the previous guy turned out to be a fake one. He had duped several houses nearby. How smart!!! Nobody  had not authenticated him, this is how a mass robbery happens.

On Friday, 6th Aug, I was returning from office in my car. As usual, I had placed my mobile on the front non-driver seat and enjoying the music. At a signal near St. John's there was considerable traffic which made me switch off AC and open windows. Green came the signal and vehicles started moving slowly. A guy walked through the busy traffic. I was thinking what makes him scroll through such a huge traffic, making it more difficult for the vehicles to cross the signal. As soon as he passed my car, he started banging the rear door scolding me of driving on his feet. A few seconds I was puzzled thinking it was his mistake walking through such a crowded road. But the time I would react he yelled "go go go". Didn't really bother to continue the conversation and scold him black and blue. But I felt something strange about the incident just after I started moving. My hands some how searched for my mobile while eyes on the road. Suddenly realized it was missing!!! Confirmed it was a trick to distract me and rob me off. Thank god I had my wallet in my pant, other wise I normally place it too on the non-driver seat.

I had Samsung phone which comes with mobile tracker, a software which sends out sms to configured numbers upon changing the sim. Its been 2 days and I didn't receive sms yet, not sure if the mugger has deactivated it. Gosh, I had bought this handset just a month back. Now decided not to buy a new one, rather bank on an old handset gifted to my dad.

I always had the suggestion to service providers to be able to track a handset using IMEI, as in foreign countries, now turning out to be an advice.

No comments: