Aug 6, 2010

Banking is so cool in HK

Last Sunday, a ATM ate up my debit card and refused to return saying "Your card has been retained please contact customer care". The customer care suggested me to visit the nearest branch and get the card. Fortunately, I had some cash and Octopus card in hand to return home safely without starving. Octopus card is one of the coolest feature in HK, will have to write a separate blog for it.

All my cash was struck in my account and I was running out of money the very evening. I thought of transferring some amount to a friend and withdraw it from his account. But I had not changed default online transfer limit (which is 0), so couldn't transfer online too. I decided to visit my bank branch during lunch hours.

I got the most royal treatment ever. The person at the reception listened to my problem carefully and took me a counseling room. He gave me the solution on how to get my card back, how long does it take and how can he help me to get it !!! This was not enough
  • he suggested me the best way, upgrade to premier account, which would fetch me a new card, sooner than getting my card, struck in ATM. The advantage being free for a year (even though the premier accounts should be opened with 1 million credit balance)
  • the pin for new card doesn't change
  • a credit card (again free for a year)
  • instant change of address, without proof. HK ID will just do.
  • arranged to withdraw cash without having my debit card
  • hassle free documentation, just HK ID did everything. I had opened my account using passport and I didn't have it at that moment.
  • sit back and enjoy Cafe latte
If it was in Bangalore/India, 
  • there would have been nobody to listen to me
  • go to a machine and search which option suited my query (and find none)
  • the person at the counter would suggest to visit the branch where I had opened my account
  • "the signature doesn't match sir, please get your pan card" - could be a possible reply
  • you will get a new card and a new pin in 2 different couriers. you will end up waiting either  for card or pin at the end of 3-4 days.
  • to change address, get address proof and submit a form (which will reflect in next 3-4 days)
Nanda has been struggling with her bank account ever since she has opened it. Every time there was a change she needs run to Electronic city branch, with pan card. And the customer care guys just don't care. The most common reply is "Sorry Sir, we don't provide this facility over phone banking. Please visit your branch".

Definitely, HK is much much better organized and well maintained in several aspects.

2 comments:

Lakshmi Rajagopal - Bhat said...

ooh! yenu illa sumne irappa....illi terrorist kaata..they cant do all this on phone in india..

Unknown said...

Very Simple Option if you were in india...
"Lo Maga 5 savira beko..."
ATM Card ATM Machine thindu bidthu" ;)