Aug 18, 2010

The Father of Our Nation

Mahatma Gandhi, who doesn't know this name ? I have been reading about this man since my childhood and really feel proud he is "The Father of Our Nation".

I happened to come across this letter by Gandhi to Fred Campbell after being released from prison following his promotion of Non-cooperation movement. Gandhi took the opportunity to personally respond to the allegation that he 'hated' the British people.



I always wonder how can a human being be so tolerant ? We come across many silly matters in day-to-day life and loose our temper within no time. Like, at a traffic junction, the signal goes green and a guy doesn't move for 5 seconds ..... every other vehicle behind him will honk. The lunch box wala comes 5 minutes late and we start cursing him. A owner fights with a tenant to keep his house clean. Chinni spills few drops of water and we both are red face. (I can write hundreds of them). And have you ever imagined what our freedom fighters have tolerated ?
It's unbelievable.

I have not been finding any interest in celebrating Independence Days for quite a few years. In fact, it is not supposed to be celebrated. The day has to be remembered for what our elder generation have gone through and gave this freedom, it is the day we owe something good to our nation.

Sincerely speaking, even I have not done anything to my country. Leaving my country suffer, I have been enjoying Hong Kong for the past 4 months. I have a reason though, my own responsibilities. Yes, this is the answer from majority of us. Aren't we selfish? 

Mahatma Gandhi and other freedom fighters were not!
I Salute and my Gratitude to all of you on this day, 3 days past our 64th Independence Day.

No comments: